Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Prop 8 overturned!

WOOOT!!!!

I'm so happy right now. Of course, I'm a little slow and didn't find out about this when I got home and checked facebook, but in any case!

I never understood why people are against gay marriage. I understand that there's the whole Christian thing, but really, if you believe that gay people will go to hell, well, they'll go to hell married or not.

I always saw that marriage was an institution (for lack of a better word) that recognizes that two people are in love. Of course, there's always the arranged marriage, political alliance, etc. etc. but the basic premise is to join two people into a family. Who are we to say who can or cannot do that? Gay couples don't want to get married because of the -tax breaks-, I'm sure. They want a legal way to recognize their devotion to their partner.

I'm going to go through a few "legal" arguments against gay marriage, and try to tear them apart. All from this site: http://www.bidstrup.com/marriage.htm, and I'm... basically summarizing, I think, since our arguments against those arguments are quite similar.

1. Marriage is an institution between one man and one woman.
Says who? Religion. But wait, didn't we promise separation of religion and government? Hm...

2. Marriage is for procreation.
So... Old people can't be married. And those infertile. (And the child brides of history). Plus, who says? Once again, religion? Hm...

3. Same-sex couples aren't the optimum environment in which to raise children.
And yet, hookers, drug dealers, etc. all have the right to raise their children, unless they get convicted of something, and once they're out of jail, they're back with their kids. Doesn't quite hold water to me. What's wrong with homosexuals taking care of kids from bad homes, or basically from people who -cannot- for one reason or another, take care of their kids? As long as you love the child, it should be alright, right?

4. Gay relationships are immoral and violate the sacred institution of marriage.
Once again, says who? Religion? I'm sensing a disturbing trend here. So I just won't mention it again if I see something that can possibly be religion based.

5. Marriages are for ensuring the continuation of the species.
We are overpopulating the world as it is. Seriously.

6. Same-sex marriage would threaten the institution of marriage.
So people who -want- to get together and dedicate their lives to each other by way of -marriage- will... threaten the institution of marriage? Um... Please.

7. We shouldn't alter heterosexual marriage, which is a traditional institution that goes back to the dawn of time.
Tradition. How silly. If we held with tradition, we'll still be running around on horses, with girls locked up in castles while the guys kill themselves on each other's lances. Tradition needs to fold in the face of progress. Quite honestly, I wouldn't want to be bid off to some rich old bastard of a lord so my father could make some money.

8. Same-sex marriage is an untried social experiment.
Denmark. Go look it up. Seriously.

9. Same-sex marriage would start us down a "slippery slope" towards legalized incest, bestial marriage, polygamy and all manner of other horrible consequences.
You're afraid of what can happen, so you pull out the ridiculous. Actually, I've seen a news article where a boy had to marry a goat or a cow or something. but anyways. Back to Denmark. They seem fine.

10. Granting gays the right to marry is a "special" right.
Why? Everyone is equal, by our constitution. So why are gay's not allowed to marry? Why aren't they equal?

11. Churches would be forced to marry gay people against their will.
Then don't marry in a church. Plus, what does this have to do with law? Remember, separation of state and religion.

12. If gay marriage is legalized, homosexuality would be promoted in the public schools.
Why would it be promoted? I think love in general should be promoted. Back to Denmark.

13. Gay marriage and its associated promotion of homosexuality would undermine western civilization.
Hate to break it to you idiots, but hey, homosexuality's been around for ages. And how would allowing two people who love each other to marry undermine western civilization? I understand that it'll be just one more thing for conservatives in the mid-east to hate us (ok, I'm stereotyping here, but bear with me), and honestly, they already hate us for being the 'evil westerners' so I can't see how this will hurt.

14. If gay people really want to get married, all they have to do is to become straight and marry someone of the opposite sex.
They're gay. That's the end of it. Why, and how, would you suddenly turn from gay to straight? You love this person, you want to get married to that person. Why would you 'become straight' and marry someone of the opposite sex? It's rather ridiculous!

I don't believe that anyone truly -chooses- to be gay. Back in the day, you were vilified if you liked someone of the same sex, so I can't actually believe that it's something that people can -choose- to do.

Back to the Christian thing too. I don't want to sound like I'm anti-Christian or anything, because I'm anything but. However! If everything happens with with a plan, and God created all of us, etc. etc., then why can't they believe that God created homosexuals too? Perhaps as, oh, I don't know, let's toss something out there, population control! Yes, we're supposed to populate the earth, name everything. Yada yada ya. Well, we've populated the earth. Hell, overpopulated. And while we were at it, killed things that hasn't been named yet. So. If they can believe that there's no global warming because the natural disasters were caused by God's will, why can't they believe that? It seems that they just want to pick and choose. (I'm really sorry if you're Christian and reading this. I just had to get it off my back.)

(P.S. I can't believe how many times I had to censure myself for using the word 'like' in this post XD Too much California?)

1 comment: